Octodrine (Also known as DMHA, 2-Aminoisoheptane)
Octodrine, also known as DMHA, is an extract derived from the fruit of the Kigelia Africana plant which has been a part of the South, central and West African diet since prehistoric times.
Used in traditional African medicine, the Kigelia Africana plant was prized for its anti-inflammatory 6a, pain relieving 5a - as well as respiratory benefits, which led to the commercial use of Octodrine in the 1950’s as a decongestant. 8a,10b
Energy Boosting Benefits
Octodrine is rapidly gaining popularity for its energy and mood boosting capabilities. This has made it particularly popular as a preworkout supplement since it has several qualities that ensure you get the most out of your workout: boosted energy levels (making it easier to push yourself and move more, which means more calories burned!), increased motivation (lots of energy doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have the desire to work out), and improved mood (when you feel good during and after your workout - it makes it more likely you will come back and do it all over again). Some other benefits include greater pain tolerance 5,6, decreased rate of perceived exertion 5,6, and improving bronchodilation 3b,4b,5b - which come in handy when lifting weights, powering through a spin or HIIT class, or even wrangling kids and a house full of chores.
One of the best parts about Octodrine is that these benefits kick in fast thanks to its molecular structure. The addition of a methyl group on the alpha carbon increases the amphiphilic nature of the compound — which makes it both water-soluble and lipid-soluble. Increased lipid solubility dramatically increases its ability to pass through the blood brain barrier where it is able to exert its focus-enhancing and euphoric effects.8,9
Weight Loss Benefits
Octodrine can also help boost weight loss due to its ability to decrease appetite as well as improve your mood by increasing the hormones responsible for making you "feel good"4b,5b (say goodbye to binge sessions caused by stress and feeling down!) .
Octodrine’s mood boosting benefits stem from its ability to increase dopamine and norepinephrine levels, which are responsible for enhanced euphoria and wakefulness.3b,4b,5b,6b. Similar in structure and metabolically related to the classical monoamine neurotransmitters, Octodrine can activate trace amine associated receptor 1, while temporarily preventing the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine into the presynaptic nerve - improving its “punch” and lasting ability.
In addition, users of DMHA have reported a higher pain threshold and reduced fatigue, thus allowing users to gain maximum benefits from their workouts. Octodrine also induces motivation to do something. As already stated, DMHA triggers the release of dopamine. Dopamine levels influence motivation levels and the subsequent volition. Motivation is the desire to accomplish something while volition is the commitment. A person may wish to achieve something, but if they encounter hurdles along the way, then they may give up. However, if a person has volition, then they will not dissuaded from the cause until they achieve what they set out to do. Thankfully, dopamine, whose release is triggered by the intake of DMHA, ensures you have both the motivation and the volition to achieve your goals.
The combination of effects experienced when using DMHA provide the ultimate support for workouts, hence its increased inclusion in a variety of performance based, pre-workout supplements and drinks.
Pain Relief and Antiinflammatory benefits
Octodrine’s pain relieving and anti-inflammatory benefits extend beyond the ability to improve the benefits of a workout. It can also be useful for reducing daily aches and pains that can prevent or discourage one from doing things around the house, yard, or at work. The better you feel, the more you are able to get done.
(5) In a study performed in 2007 at the University of Benin, researchers confirmed the antiinflammatory and pain relieving benefits of Octodrine/Kigelia Africana extract. On mice and guinea pigs treated with the extract, they found a reduction of redness on irritated paws as well as a higher pain tolerance. Higher doses of the extract showed greater improvement.
(6) Additional studies were performed by John A. Wilkinson to determine the benefits of extracts derived from the fruit of the Kigelia Africana. Researchers, testing the extract on human neutrophils, found that the extract effectively inhibited Cyclooxygenase, which is responsible for converting Arachodonic Acid to pain mediators known as Prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are also responsible for triggering an inflammatory response. Inhibiting the COX and the resulting Prostaglandin production ultimately results in pain relief and reduced inflammation.
Concentration, Focus, and Memory Enhancing Benefits
Preliminary studies show that Octodrine is more effective than its predecessors, DMAA and AMP Citrate, at the ability to improve mental performance 17b,18b,19b. It can keep you alert and focused, allowing you to accomplish more.
Octodrine’s ability to influence the release of dopamine and norepinephrine - which studies show play a role in long term memory and recall, may contribute to improved study or learning efforts.
It also improves episodic memory17b, which, through past experiences, helps one to distinguish between approaches that work from the ones that don’t work. The ability to apply the same logic to solve new challenges saves time and resources.
Effective Against Candida
You may have heard of Candida, but you may not be aware of what a threat it is and the many problems it can cause. Candida albicans is an opportunistic species of yeast, or single-celled fungus, that is the fourth most common hospital-acquired infection in the U.S. and is the most common cause of fatal fungal infections in humans - costing around $2–4 billion dollars a year to treat.
Many people carry a Candida infection or overgrowth without realizing it. Some common symptoms associated with Candida are:
- Feeling tired or worn down - possibly suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia
- Digestive Issues such as bloating, diarrhea, or constipation
- Autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis, Lupus, Scleroderma, or Multiple Sclerosis
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD or ADHD
- Skin issues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives and rashes
- Skin and nail fungal infections such as athlete’s foot, ringworm, and toenail fungus
- Severe seasonal allergies
- Strong sugar or carb cravings
- Irritability, mood swings, depression, or anxiety
- Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching, or vaginal itching
Candida also has the ability to suppress the immune system so frequent illness or inability to recover quickly from illness may also be a sign.
During efforts to find effective treatments for fighting Candida, it was discovered that Octodrine, in addition to having the ability to fight and kill Candida, also displayed wide-spectrum anti-microbial activity. Compared to other selected anti-Candida drugs, Octodrine was shown to be one of the most effective drugs in killing serum-grown Candida albicans without significantly affecting the survival of host macrophages and skin cells. The fact that no C. albicans mutants showed a decrease in sensitivity to Octodrine argues against the potential emergence of Octodrine-resistant Candida strains - a powerful argument that favors the usage of this drug as a new antifungal treatment against Candida.Antimicrobial properties of Octodrine
In addition to Octodrine’s ability to kill Candida albicans [26–39], it has also displayed some impressive antimicrobial properties - capable of killing Gram-positive as well as Gram-negative bacteria. In one study, Octodrine killed a Uropathagenic strain of E. Coli bacteria after 5 days of exposure, and within a week, it killed everything the scientists tested for. (31b)